Welcome to Boston Herald Smart Camp! We hope you are ready to have fun learning how to use the Smart Edition this summer.
We will post a new activity on the NIE Blog on every Monday morning in July. On the blog you will find the weekly Smart Edition activity, as well as ask questions and share ideas with other teachers in the comments section. (Although students can participate in Smart Camp, the NIE Blog is just for teachers.) You can follow along with Smart Camp each week in July or participate at your own pace throughout the summer.
*Note: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you will be primarily using an iPad or tablet to access the Smart Edition. We have special activities and instruction guides that differ from the general Smart Edition guides.
Week One: Introducing the Smart Edition
This week we will become familiar with key tools in the Smart Edition, and learn to navigate the online newspaper.
1. Download and review the Smart Edition Teacher Guide here. The teacher guide also contains all of the activities we will be covering during Smart Camp.
2. Watch the short Smart Edition video on the Smart Edition page here. You’ll see real teachers and students using the online newspaper.
3. Log-on to the Smart Edition with your username and password. (Still need access to the Smart Edition? Order here. Read the newspaper using key features of the Smart Edition such as the calendar tool to read back issues, the search tool to find specific information, and the print tool. If you are participating with students, ask each student to read an article that interests them. Then ask students to share a summary of what they read with the rest of the class.
4. Test what you have learned by completing the following activity.
Smart Edition Scavenger Hunt
Search for these tools in the Smart Edition. Once you find them, use the directions below to label them on the picture below.
1. Draw a triangle over the buttons that turn the page
2. Draw a rectangle around the search box
3. Draw a star over the zoom tools
4. Draw a heart over the button that will always take you back to the homepage
5. Circle the print button
6. Draw a smiley face on the calendar button that will let you read other issues of the newspaper
7. Draw a diamond over the Table of Contents
8. Draw a square over the Sign In/ Sign Out button
After you complete the activities above, share your thoughts right here on the NIE Blog. Post a comment below about your Smart Camp experience.
Check back on Monday for Week Two’s activities!